Monday, May 10, 2010

General Bonnie

Coming from a home where the father figure was kinda the main disciplinarian I had the idea that this is how every family worked. That I would be the nice mom who got to sneak the kids forbidden treats and lessened the punishment where I could, you know the good cop. Alas this is not the case. I think it's because since the kids were born Kirk has either been a law student or a attorney working his tail off for his family. This means he hasn't been home a lot. So he brings them candy or soda or movies on school nights, lets them stay up late so he can see them to make up for it. This started the pattern of me being the bad cop. Which I'm honestly not usually thrilled with. However last week I read a article about Jeff Bridge in the Costco magazine, I know, who reads that, well I do. I especially read it if I'm supposed to be doing the dishes. Anyway he mentions that his Mom was known as the General in their family, and they called her that. I'm sure there were days that annoyed her and days when it seemed endearing. So in my head I keep telling myself that one day maybe it will be cute that I'm the General. Starting the nickname myself isn't quite ideal, but I may start dropping it here and there in my bad cop routine. "I know Dad said you can have a diet coke at 8pm on a Wednesday night Elle, but I'm the General and I said no." See how that works? Think it will work?

4 comments:

Becky said...

need me to start dropping that name for you?

likeschocolate said...

I totally here you with my man gone all the time, I am left to be the total bad guy. When they want something they run to him. He gives into them where I do not. I guess the roles are reversing in this generation.

Sara said...

Kirk has never been the one to discipline hgahahahhaha. You may a great "General". You are such a good mom! Love ya

Judy said...

I was the good cop? Yeah Genreal Judy! Dad agrees, btw, generally- i fell back on him for tough cop especially- lots of talk on good cop, bad cop, but tough cop not so much and so needed! So 'sit on that' (Inside compliment to both of you who are wonderful parents!) Like the movei says "You chose adult first:)