Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My latest race




A neighbor sent me a message over facebook saying" i heard you started running, there is a 5k at the end of April you can train for" I wrote back umm this was my 6th 13.1 in 2 years. But that sounds like a fun race thanks for thinking of me ;) Its hard to believe but my first half was on March 6th 2010! Mom and I went back and ran the same race that I ran for the first time with her. Its a small town about 4 hours from here and it's a pretty flat race unless you are tired then it feels like a long slow uphill! The crowds are small but enthusiastic which is really fun. I tend to talk to everyone when I run, I yell jokes, make comments about outfits, you know. I amuse myself and Mom hopefully! We didn't run this one for time we ran it because we still can! After a Doctor told mom she wouldn't run like this again, this was our celebration run! The night before when we checked in the officals weren't sure the race was going to happen or not because of a large storm cell moving in. The storm app said it was 80% rain at 7 in the morning. I have to tell you at 7am the race gun went off and the clouds opened and poured on us! We all looked up like really?? Did the shot break something?? It poured on us, we ran in shoes filled with water! Then to be really fun between miles 3 and 7 the tornado sirens went off the entire time! We all ran while looking over our shoulders to see if any officals would come tell us to take cover. A few people started running really fast to "get done sooner and out of the storm" we passed them again in a few blocks when they had to walk :) Anyway it was so much fun! As we ran down one busy road I was running outside the cones and the officer asking me to stay in the cones gave me a awesome belly laugh when I said I couldn't fit in the cones my hips were too big. That smile carried me from about mile 7.5-9. we aren't sure we care to run that particular race again, but I was glad we did it this time!
PS worlds ugliest race shirts!! they ran out of smalls and mediums and we didn't even care! But the medals were cute! Although the first shirt we got there was really really ugly! I'll post that too.

1 comment:

likeschocolate said...

Congratulations! When are you going to post Italy photos? Can't wait to see them.