Sunday, March 15, 2009

Grandma Parnells funeral


I wanted to post this so that those who were unable to make it to Arkansas for Grandma Parnell's funeral could see what it all looked like. I hope this is okay for everyone. The service was sweet and small with her neighbors, friends, fellow church members, cousins even her house cleaner who cried the loudest. The Pastor spoke twice, a little bit of love for Grandma and a lot of fire and brimstone for Marsha. He opened it up for people who wanted to speak, so I got up and said I wanted to say something for her grandchildren who loved her. I said I couldn't think of the perfect story but I had something for the 5 senses. Taste was her introducing me to bread with butter on it and orange marmalade jam when I stayed with her over a summer. Smell was her perfume which was so strong when she saw AJ in the hospital the day after he was born I had to change his clothes and give him a bath. Sight was her love of bright colors in her clothes and lipstick, Sound was hearing her lovely southern accent calling me Hun and darling and the beautiful way she whistled. I always thought she was the best whistler in the world. And finally touch was for the way she touched my lives and all of us there, for raising 3 wonderful kids, one of whom was my Dad who is the best Dad I know. Her touch will go through me and my kids for generations to come.
I cried and cried, I admit it. Marsha laughed at me and said her mother said that southern women don't cry in public. We had a beautiful video made with pictures of her life and that made me cry the most. I am grateful for my knowledge that she is with the people she loved and that I will see her again.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Thank you! I think it is great that one of the grandkids got to be there

nathaniel said...

Glad you got to be there, but funerals sure open the floodgates huh?
It's probably good for you--you needed a good cry to clean out your system:)
Bittersweet